Every year on St. Patrick’s Day, my family prepares a corned beef dinner in celebration of the Irish-American tradition (even though we’re obviously not Irish). This year I was responsible for cooking the dinner. Below is the corned beef with potatoes and cabbage recipe I cooked for my family last night. I promise you’ll be pleasantly satisfied with the flavorful and tender corned beef. If you decide to try this recipe, let me know what you think. Bain taitneamh as do bhéile! (Translate to “enjoy your meal” in Irish.)
Time: 4 hours
Ingredients: 1 uncooked corned beef brisket (includes spice packet), 1 onion, and vegetables (e.g., cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions).
Sauce ingredients: mustard, honey, and mayonnaise.
- Rinse the uncooked corned beef brisket under cold water.
- Season the brisket with the spice packet that it came with.
- Place the brisket into a large pot.
- Add 1 chopped onion into the pot.
- Poke the brisket with a fork.
- Add enough water to cover the brisket and chopped onion.
- Cover the pot and boil for about 30 minutes, then let it simmer on medium-low heat for 2.5 hours.
- Add your chopped vegetables (e.g., cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions) into the pot, and let it simmer for another hour. (I chopped and added 1 head of cabbage and 6 red-skinned potatoes to my pot.)
- Remove the brisket from the pot, and let it rest before cutting into the brisket.
- Cut the brisket across the grain to prevent the meat from falling apart too easily.
- Take out the vegetables and discard the liquid from the pot.
- Sauce: Mix mustard, honey, and mayonnaise.
Also, you can watch my instructional video on my Facebook page.